Skip to main content

4S in Copenhagen

Last week I gave a talk at the annual meeting of 4S, the Society for Social Studies of Science, in Copenhagen. It was a great excuse to visit a city I'd never been to before, and a nice change of scenery from an autumn devoted to reading for my comprehensive exam (and in York's STS program, is it ever comprehensive!)

After giving myself permission to enjoy my trip and not feel guilty for not keeping up the reading pace, I ended up doing much more work than I expected; mainly writing notes on pdf files of papers in my Documentary Film list. I use GoodReader to read and annotate files on my iPad, which was much easier than lugging stacks of printed papers or books on a transatlantic flight. The difficulty is that I find the iPad sluggish when I try to type notes and work off the pdf file at the same time, so I just wrote in my moleskin notebook and typed them up later.

The conference itself was vibrant and well-designed, much like Copenhagen. Based on the theme of "Design and Displacement" many talks dealt with the phenomenon of the "Copenhagenization" of sustainable urban planning which attempts to replicate the city's successes. We also were exposed to the phenomenon of the "New Nordic Diet" through both the presentation of research on its beneficial effects and being offered conference lunches and a banquet. New Nordic food feels both light and hearty, and very tasty, although some of the more bitter herbs and salty seaweed were too pungent for me. The link between academic work and food was brought home by my friends Cam and Ali, whose website playfully details their ongoing projects in the realm of embodied and reflexive sensory experimentation.

The New Nordic Diet in action

The sixth issue of Spontaneous Generations, whose focused discussion on Visual Representation and Science I coedited with Ari Gross, was published a few weeks before I left. Coming to the end of that kind of collaboration was really satisfying, and I'm thrilled at the response from the HPS and STS community. Work has already begun on the seventh issue, and it's a bit of a relief to no longer be at the reins, especially since my reading schedule has ramped up for the final 5 weeks.

In order to streamline my reading efforts, I've scaled back my social networking, extracurriculars, tv, and travel. I'm trying to use my jetlag-induced early rising to get a jumpstart on the day's reading, which has been pretty successful so far. I'm also making exciting post-exam plans to make up for this temporary exile from fun. Procrastination still emerges in the form of alternate projects (like this blog post, or cooking elaborate breakfasts from scratch) but it's much easier to control when I have a definite sense of the amount of work I need to get done in a day as I count down the days to the exam...

I'd better get back to work.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ross Geller is a terrible palaeontologist.

When all of the seasons of Friends were released on Netflix this winter, many of us took the opportunity to catch up on a show from our 90s childhoods. But when I did I couldn’t help but be struck by how awful its characters could be to others within the TV universe, Ross most of all. Many of Ross’ shenanigans were related to his job as a palaeontologist, first at a natural history museum and then as a lecturer (later tenured ) at NYU. Ross is a terrible person, and that bleeds into him being a terrible palaeontologist & professor. Binge-watching the series really drives this home, as you can see from this parade of professional nonsense: -He has an after-hours date, then sex , in the museum and gets caught the morning after by kids on a field trip. -He yells at and threatens his museum coworkers, leading to a forced leave of absence while he undergoes anger management training. -His papers are widely discredited . -He forgets to attend his own classes (this runni

How to attend a conference with a baby

Preamble: the title of this post officially "gives it away": I'm ABD with a B-A-B-Y. Most everyone I interact with professionally knows this, and I wasn't keeping it secret from the internet , but there's still a disadvantage to being a  mother in academia , and many hesitate to talk about being parents publicly. I think that's unreasonable, and I hope that this and similar posts can be helpful to other academic parents facing similar issues. Last week my family attended HSS / PSA in windy Chicago, and it was a great example of a conference that took families with babies into consideration. My next post will be about the good choices those conference organizers made, but this one is directed towards the parent(s) conferencing with a baby in tow (note: some of these tips may not apply to multiple/older children or other types of dependent care, areas in which I'm not experienced). 1. Be baby-travel savvy.   There are plenty of usefu

Thinking about Generous Thinking

Everyone is talking about Kathleen Fitzpatrick’s new book Generous Thinking: A Radical Approach to Saving the University . Mark Largent, our Interim APUE & Dean of Undergraduate Studies, just blogged about it here . Fitzpatrick gave a keynote about generous thinking at the #ITeachMSU Spring Conference on Student Learning and Success . And it’s the next pick for the Hub’s monthly book club . I haven’t read the whole book yet, but the ideas are so exciting that this is a book pre-report, as one of my favorite colleagues Bre Yaklin remarked last week. I first learned about Generous Thinking at the Envisioning the Future of Academic Work at MSU  workshop in April, where Fitzpatrick led a breakout session called “Generous vs. Competitive Thinking in the Academic Environment.” Anyone who knows me knows I’m the opposite of competitive, so this title jumped out of the schedule for me. In essence, thinking generously means rescuing academia from paths that seem to relentlessly incre